5 HEALTH TIPS FROM THE PRO MUJER HEALTH TEAM AMIDST THE CONORAVIRUS PANDEMIC
24 marzo, 2020
As we face the COVID-19 pandemic, Pro Mujer is closely monitoring official recommendations, new information and resources to help our community cope with the current crisis.
As the coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, we are learning more about its impact on our bodies, our emotional well-being and our economies. In these difficult times, it is important to remember that we must all do our part to ensure that high-risk individuals are protected, especially older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions such as hypertension, heart diseases or diabetes.
To do so, it is vital that we comply with all guidelines being issued by the authorities like our federal, state and local governments, as well as the World Health Organization.
Stay home and practice self-distancing! Experts agree that taking this preventive measure helps reduce virus transmission and minimizes the strain on our health care system caused by a high volume of individuals seeking medical attention at once.
Here are some preventive measures we should all be taking:
A) Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer especially when leaving and/or getting home, before cooking and after going to the bathroom.
B) Do not touch your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
C) Only go outside in case of emergency or to get essential supplies.
D) If you have flu symptoms, such as coughing, fever or difficulty breathing, it is advisable to isolate yourself to avoid the spread of the virus that could potentially create a collapse in the health care system. If needed, call the doctor and please do not self-medicate.
At Pro Mujer, we are taking active measures to protect the health of our staff, beneficiaries and community at large. We also recognize that caring for our mental wellbeing will be critical. It is a natural response to feel stress, anxiety and fear in this moment of crisis. To help you take care of yourself and each other, here are five tips to consider:
1. Take a break. Take some space to avoid any news about COVID-19. Do not read or talk about this issue for a certain period of time each day.
2. Be aware of your body and take care of it. Eat healthy, hydrate yourself, sleep between six to eight hours every day and work out if possible.
3. Take some time to do things you love: read, play with your family, watch movies.
4. Remember to talk to others about how you feel and what you are doing to relieve stress. Just because you are self-distancing from others, it doesn’t mean you can’t connect using video chats and social media.
5. If you have kids, remember that they model what they see. If you are well informed and well prepared, you can be a great emotional support for them.
We will continue to post updates on our digital channels, including this blog and our social media. We invite you to follow us to stay updated.
The Pro Mujer Team